Thursday, February 19, 2009

Robbed in Rome

We got robbed by a cabbie today.

We had just got into Rome on the train and did not want to find the
hotel ourself so we jumped in a cab. I told the cabbie the hotel name
and asked how much and he said "meter meter" which let me know he
would try to rip us off. When we turned the corner to the hotel the
meter it said $8 but when we got out it said $20 he said bag charge...
I called him out on that but he was adamit and I had no proof
otherwise (I now know there is only a flat fee of $2 + $2/bag then
$0.50/km so it shouldve been 10 euro).

So then I rustled through my pocket and gave him a $20 from a wad of
bills, I turned around and he must have switched it with a $10 and he
said "it's $20" so I took the $10 and gave him another $20 b/c I
thought I had only given him a $10.

About tem minutes later I remembered I was out of 10s all I had was
20s so I had to have given him a $20 in the first place!

So he got 20 euro extra out if me, 10 by lying about the fare then 10
by just stealing.

First lesson... Rome is full of crooks watch your wallet!

4 comments:

  1. I sooooo have to show Paul this!!! He would be so impressed that Michael figured all the numbers out!
    What was tiff doing when all of this was going down?

    The train sounded horrible!!!!

    Miss ya'll xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! and I can't wait to see all of the pictures that ya'll took!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what pics? we are having trouble because I only have a little data plan over here and loading the pics sucks the data so we only posted like 3 and wont do anymore till we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I meant.. looking at the pics that ya'll have taken when you get back.. I'm sure ya'll will put some on FB.

    ReplyDelete